Thursday, June 15, 2006

1st 2 weeks, highs, lows, etc.

Alright, so I haven't been very diligent in my blogs lately, but I promise this will be a reoccurring thing from now on; so on to what has been happening lately. Well, I first of all have to say that I lucked out in a huge way in that my class is amazing. We have 10 girls and 1 boy, and they are absolutely hilarious. It was weird coming in and teaching the first week just because I felt like a student teacher who had no responsibility whatsoever. I was very worried that they wouldn't respect me the way they respected the two 2nd-years. However, much to my surprise, we have connected really well, and I'm starting to get a good feel on how to relate to them better with my teaching methods.
The highlight without a doubt was 2 days ago when I used a variation of an Algebra baseball game. They were jumping, screaming, and (hopefully) learning how to do one-step equations with a competitive twist. The energy in the room was infectious and I even heard a couple of "Mr. Taylor rocks" comments from the class, which definitely made me feel good. (I know that's not the point, but acceptance always feel good.)
My worst day in class thus far was actually the day after. I totally didn't manage my time well enough and I PAID THE PRICE! They weren't really disruptive or anything, but I could just tell that I had lost their attention and willingness to learn. Plus, I think if I did have a more disruptive class, they would've pounced at that time.
Today was actually great though. My lessons weren't very complicated to explain, and we had some fun with it. I feel so comfortable with this class already, which is a great feeling to have. I'm the type of person that I love to play off of people with inside jokes, and I know them well enough now that it's a really engaging fun time. I've still got a lot to learn as far as teaching methods and classroom management go, but it is nice to see substantial progress this early in the summer.
As for the summer grad school class goes, I would say that it has been really informative. The only problem is I'm struggling to stay attentive due to lack of sleep, and I feel like my participation is not at its highest form.(I'll get better A. Mon) The highlight of the class time thus far though was when two former students of our director came in to talk about life in the Delta. They were such good kids. It was, however, very hard for me to understand them. It was good to have an opportunity to see some of the kids that have been taught by our teachers, and what their thoughts were on their teaching styles and influences.
There was one part of that afternoon that I did want to blog about though, and that was when our director started talking about percentages and how many students "make it". I was very pleased when one of the other students asked for his definition of "making it", and given the response of "how many go to college". Now why I am a huge advocate for education (I'm in this program aren't I), I don't think that should be the sole criteria for success. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to get into this program was the opportunity to really influence and equip my students for life. I realize that I have a very limited time frame to give my "2 cents", but I also realize that I want them equipped not only with education but with confidence and self-esteem. In the big pictures of life, I don't want to look back and think that I just taught that student how to do some math problems. I want to look back and think that I tried to instill in each student a mindset that they are adequate and equipped enough to do whatever it is they most desire. If that is college, med school, law school, teacher, mom, dad, lawn mower, librarian, whatever....I want them to believe that this whole social injustice issue will keep them down only if they let it. I want them to know that there is life out there, and if they want to check it out that is great. But I also, think that if there passion is being a mom in some small town and working at the local supermarket then that is perfectly okay. I just don't want them to feel like they were forced in to it. But some of the most successful people I've ever known, weren't viewed as the most successful in terms of the world. Anyways, I just figured I'd blog about that. Well, I think that's enough for now.

Until next time,
Hook'em

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben Guest said...

Great post. Even though I'm the one who defined "making it" as finishing college I recognize that there are numerous other paths to a successful life. However, in my experience, if the kids in the Delta don't graduate from college they are almost certainly going to live a life of poverty. If I've learned one thing in my time here it is that a college degree is the number one path out of poverty. In many cases it is, unfortunately, the only path.

The economic decline in the Delta can be traced to the loss of well-paying jobs that didn't require a college (or even high school) degree. In days past I could get a job a the local (catfich, cotton seed oil, lumber) plant and make a liveable wage. Those jobs and opportunities are gone.

Let me put it another way. In Hollandale, where I taught and where Ashley and Vette are from, 10% of the population has a college degree and 10% of the population makes more than $50,000 a year. Those numbers aren't a coincidece.

7:42 AM  
Blogger JTarfiel said...

I like what you said about success. I think it's a joke that we view success in terms of wealth and a high standard of living. Success should be about living the life you want to live and being a good person and making the world a better place. I can also see what Ben's saying, because in order to live the life you want to live you have to have some self-determination, and poverty is a very serious obstacle to achieving that. At the same time, nobody is going to be happy or a success if they don't have the self esteem you were talking about.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home