Sunday, June 18, 2006

Having to watch ourselves teach

Much to my surprise it actually wasn't that painful to have to watch myself give a lesson over perimeter. I do, however, wish I could've watched a lesson that displayed more creativity than the one I video-taped. Anyways, I think some positive things I saw included a lot of positive reinforcement to kids that seemed unsure of themselves as they attempted to answer a question. Also, I think I evenly dispersed my questions on the board, so that everyone got a fair share to answer. I'm still learning, but I do think that the kids aren't scared to go up to the board and attempt problems in front of their peers. Now on to the negatives.....I sometimes talk really slow and monotone....espcially when I give notes on transparency. I think I let my fatigue affect my teaching that period, because I didn't seem to have as much enthusiasm as I normally do. I don't think it was that bad of a lesson, but I also don't think it was that good. I think our professor was so right when she said teaching is a performance. I've got to use more voice changes, jokes, excercises, surprise tactics, etc. All in all, video-taping was a great tool. I actually wish I could tape more often.

1 Comments:

Blogger Monroe said...

Tape as often as you like. Just check-out a camera and go! I am glad you found the exercise helpful.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home