Saturday, March 03, 2007

Negatives

I am so ready for spring break. I hate to make a statement like this at a time when I know the mindset has to be positive and on improving the students, but I just can’t help myself. I feel exhausted right now. I just skipped going to class this weekend to attend my old college roommate’s wedding in Dallas. The only thing is that I couldn’t book a flight, because I was uncertain as to when our baseball game would finish up. It didn’t finish until 9 pm; it should have been over at 8, so I had to drive 6 hours to make it Dallas. I feel like I could sleep for 2 days straight. The 3 preps and 3 sports are killing me right now. I feel like I am at a constant full speed going from one thing to the next. I’m normally not a complainer at all, and I normally get annoyed with people that do but I am just flat out tired right now. Spring break could not occur at a better time.
On a different note though, I know Ben had mentioned maybe posting some reasons why or why not to join the program. For this particular blog, I think I am going to write reasons why someone might not want to join a program like this. I feel like I am in a mood where I could come of as somewhat negative.
First of all, if you are not a committed person, you are screwed. You are going to be tested on a daily basis where challenges pop up either in your classroom or on the playing field. Having no previous knowledge of the culture, this puts you at a huge disadvantage, since you don’t know what gets results. You are testing them out. Well, I guarantee you that you are not going to figure out the correct results the first time. It’s going to take you a while….months, a semester, maybe the first year before you attain your goal.
Another thing that an applicant might want to consider is the amount of sacrifices that one will have to make depending on your background. Maybe perhaps, you are used to being in a big city or college town where you have access to a vast majority of entertainment resources and opportunities to hang out with people your age. If you get assigned certain places in the Delta, this will be a huge change. You go from being able to do anything you want to do whenever you want to, to having to plan out when you are going to partake in certain entertainment ventures, even in Jackson.
The final thing that I would consider before joining is do I really want to have to do additional coursework. A lot of people join the program with the notion that they just want to teach in the classroom. Well, a large requirement in this program is having to partake in additional projects and write additional papers. Plus, you have to make the sacrifice of using some of your Saturdays for class time instead of using it for recovery time for the week. All in all, I think these are the reasons someone might not want to do MTC. Hopefully, this week will be more rejuvenating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home