Wednesday, October 10, 2007

MTC: Making A Difference

Does MTC make a difference? I think the answer to this question is an overwhelming yes. I think the times where a lot of Corps members feel like they might not be making a difference is when their students or themselves don’t meet certain expectations that they set for their classroom. I have been there, and I’m not saying that you shouldn’t have high expectations for your classroom and yourself. What I am saying is that progress for certain kids and certain schools happen at different times.

Some people will have success from the very beginning. Other people won’t feel like they’re having the type of success that they intended to have until the second semester of their second year, or maybe later than that. But after seeing where a lot of these kids are academically and seeing where a lot of these schools are professionally, there is no doubt in my mind that MTC is making a huge difference in Mississippi.

I’m blown away each and every time that I come in to Oxford for class at the caliber of individuals that I’m in the same room with, and I’m not just trying to suck up to my class. I can sit at my table and here a couple of Corps members talking about tutoring that they are doing for some of the their students or I’ll here about the teams that a lot of them are coaching. I can ride in the car up to Oxford with a fellow member and here about her school’s Interact club that she’s starting and be completely in awe of how much of a difference she is making.

Big things are happening all throughout this state, and I believe this program is making valid contributions to the state’s public education on a daily basis. I don’t even think that we’ll be able to accurately measure how much of a difference this program is making. I think that’s one of the most beautiful things about the program, it’s impact is enormous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home