Monday, May 07, 2007

Block Party, not Chapelle style

Alright, for my next installment I thought that I would write about the Block Party that our grade had last Friday at my school. In the last blog I wrote, I mentioned that we had state testing last week, and so as a reward for "not acting a fool" all grades have their own type of party. Well, my homeroom class has 7th graders in it, so I would participating in the 7th grade block party. Basically, what the basic idea is that each teacher is put on duty in his/her classroom and they must provide an activity like video games, movies, board games, etc. Well, I’m pretty pumped up because I had been told that I would be running a video game or movie room. I’ve been dying to play a little NBA 2K especially since so many of my students are talking trash to me about the Mavericks lack of success in the postseason. Well, the day for the block party arrives and I see the teacher assignment list. I scroll down and find out that another coach and myself are the only two 7th grade teachers that will be working entrance duty. What this basically means is that if anybody tries to take off through the back door, I have to take them down. If this means lining up in a three-point stance and modeling a linebacker pursuit drill, then that’s exactly what I’ll have to do.
Well, you would think that if you’re going to put something on like this, you might want to be pretty organized. For instance, maybe your could have the students participating all sign up for a particular room and then call out these students a group at a time to report to their destination. Did we do that? Nope! Instead, we just said, "At this time all seventh grade students are allowed to leave their homeroom and pick a classroom to go to." Well, when they were given this reward, all the student busted through the hall and it was absolutely jam-packed. I’m talking it did not seem safe at all. Plus, the majority of students are not going to a classroom, they are just causing a disruption in the hall. Then all of a sudden a big group of students begin a chant saying, "Northside, Doom Squad, Northside, Doom Squad." I don’t know all there is to know about sayings and chants, but to me it sounds like their just getting more and more worked up and something is going to happen. Well, after that chant is building and building in the halls, a big group then runs through the hall towards the back entrance that I am guarding. I’m already plotting about my next move. Should I go low? Should I yell? Should I just take one out and see who follows? Obviously I’m embellishing about what I would actually do, but for a moment I was sort of panicking about how to resolve the situation. Fortunately, they all headed down to the right avoiding my exit and instead hounding the coach at the other entrance. I have no idea how he handled it. In fact, I don’t remember much after that. Somewhere along the way I blacked out and and woke up with a swollen lip and a sheet of notebook paper filled with Kool-Aid on my chest. I hope it ended up okay.
I’m joking again. But I just figured I’d share my experience. I’m out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home