Sunday, June 03, 2007

Witness!!!

It's official. I am an NBA basketball fan again. I know I should probably be writing some tips about teaching or something and I'm sure I'll get to that eventually, but come on....King James performance was unreal. I haven't felt a connection to NBA basketball since Jordan's swish over Bryan Russell. I hated the Lakers, grew bored with the Spurs, thought the Pistons won out of sure luck, and I often times forget that Miami even won it last year considering they exited out of the first round this year. I guess I've kind of claimed the Mavericks the last couple of years just because they're from Texas, and they are exciting to watch every now and again. But ultimately, the only basketball I watch is on the college level. Now this was quite the contrary in the Jordan Bulls days. I used to get permission from my father to stay up late just to "witness" greatness happening. He happily permitted me to do this, because he knows watching performances like Jordan's happen very rarely. Lebron's 48-point game....the magic is back. I can't stop talking about it with my dad and my friends from college. It was sick. Plus, the final game included a show-stopping performance from Texas's own Daniel Gibson; that's right I said Texas in case you weren't paying attention. He used to abuse me in the practice facility on campus, and now I get a great story out of it. My life is complete. I have significance.
Now if you read these blogs for educational/pracitical purposes, this is your time. My last week of school occurred last week, and I'm not going to lie it was a weird feeling. I'm actually going to miss a lot of those kids. One thing that shocked me as well was how emotional the kids were. I thought it was a going to be an atmosphere that was just "Partay!", but instead it was a time to put on Ne-yo and reminisce (not sure how you spell it and too lazy to put it on word and check). In fact, that's exactly what I did. One of my male students was like, "Coach can we just put our chairs in a circle, put on some soft music, and just talk about the year?" I was all about it. I was cracking up though inside. Middle school kids amaze me over and over. So the girls sobbed uncontrollably, me and the guys told jokes, and 99 jams soothed our ears as we took in the last hour and a half of the school year. We then polished it off with a nice group hug. I said some words and asked if anyone else would like to say anything. I felt like a pastor giving the benediction at a sunday service about to say, "And now go in the grace of God and honor him with your works." Ofcourse, I really didn't say that....gotta be P.C....haha. I did, however, tell them how much I enjoyed their company and asked them all to come back and see me this next year. It's crazy how things work out, because that was my most troublesome class of the year. I had so many days where I would leave that class absolutely pissed off because of something that they did. I guess they just wanted to see if I would stick or not. Well, I'm sticking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home