Saturday, March 03, 2007

Baseball and Positives

I always take the time every once in a while in blogging to write about how my teams are doing. I am currently coaching baseball at one of the Jackson schools right now, and we are now three games into the district schedule. The first team we played was horrible I hate to say. We had to go to the Delta two and a half hours out of the way to play a game that wasn’t even close. The only thing I think I really got from it was a cold. The next day at class I was absolutely miserable.
Then a couple of days ago we hosted a game against a Delta squad. That was the best defensive game we have played thus far. Our team looked sharp, and one particular bright spot came at third base. We had been looking at different people to play that position early on this season, and we just had a freshman kid become eligible. He put on a show. I think in one stretch he had 5 put-outs in a row. His potential is sky-high. His technique is a little rough, but his hand-eye coordination is unreal; you can’t teach that. Plus, he likes me a lot and he’s always volunteering a lot to participate in things to get better. He’s making quite an impression on me as you can see. We did end up winning that game by a score of 11-1 though. The other team was horrible I thought. They made us look really good. I’m still not quite sure how we’ll match up when we play the talented suburb teams. They’re just so well coached that we really have to put on a show in the field and then hit the ball. I guess we’ll see; we play them next week.
Now to follow up on my last blog, I wanted to post a couple of reasons why I think MTC is a great program. First of all, if you love a challenge, this is the spot for you. You will be challenged every day you step in to your building. It is a profession where the unexpected can happen at any time, and it is up to you to react and make the right call.
The second reason is the life-changing relationships that you’ll make along the way. I think a person might be too idealistic if they think they are going to revolutionize the school that they get placed. I do, however, though think that they will make a huge difference to a handful of kids in the community, and this will carry over for the rest of your life. The friendships that you’ll make out here will cause a lot of self-reflection, and I think they’ll do nothing but improve your outlook on society today.
The last reason that I wanted to cover is that you’ll come out of your two years with a degree from the University of Mississippi. Not only are you getting a remarkable experience in teaching, but you are going to get the opportunity to tackle coursework that will be stimulating and beneficial, and it’s free. I don’t think you can beat that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home