Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My Sales Pitch

I know one of the questions that Ben asked us was why someone should join the Mississippi Teacher Corps. I’m going to respond to this like I’m speaking with someone who is interested in doing something like Peace Corps or Teacher For America and knows nothing about MTC.

My first selling point would be the kids and the communities that you would get to work with. I’ve never met friendlier, more hospitable people in my entire life, and I didn’t grow up that far away. I’m truly amazed though at how people greet each other with so much enthusiasm and life; it’s contagious. Plus, I’ve never been in a culture where humor is this big. I love to laugh more than anything else and I’m constantly rolling with laughter every day on the job. Plus, for the most part, the kids and the communities are glad that you are there to help in educating their youth. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of pride towards outsiders helping.

The next selling point is the quality of friendships that you’re going to make with other Corps members. I think when you go through anything that’s tough, you are going to be bonded together with those that went through it with you. I know for a fact that I made some life-long friends through this program. Plus, everyone is so diverse. I’ve learned so many things from the other members in this program, and I’ve definitely stolen a lot of their tactics that I think make them extremely successful.

The third and final selling point that I wanted to focus on was the challenge at hand. If you love to be challenged day in and day out there is no better job in my opinion. Your academic and interpersonal skills are tested and challenged every day, and I think you are going to experience a lot of growth in yourself by taking on these challenges. It’s just an experience like no other. Not many people get to experience or see the things that you get to in this program, and I would consider it to be one of the most amazing things that I have ever been a part of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home