Saturday, March 31, 2007

MTC recruiting

This past week I ventured out to one of my favorite places in the entire world, Austin, TX. It was my turn to recruit for the program this past Wednesday, so I took a couple stacks of flyers, informational brochures, and email lists over to the University of Texas Student Union for a career fair. I was already looking forward to the trip just as an opportunity to see some old college friends, but I was also looking forward to try and get the word out to students about MTC. I remember when I was in college MTC was something that I stumbled upon by luck and was completely blown away at how amazing the program seemed. I stepped in and eyed my position early to find out where exactly they would be putting my booth up. I was front and center; not a bad place to be. I also looked three tables down on the same row and there was this huge black flag with the letters T.F.A. stenciled in. I knew right then and there, it was GAME TIME. I’m really just joking, but it was so much fun to inform people about what exactly we are doing out here in Mississippi. I think sometimes we can get a little burnt out by teaching, so it was nice to take a quick break and go back to speaking about why I went in to a program like this in the first place.

I was also blown away at the fact that many people are interested in helping out in areas like this. After being so frustrated with the lack of support sometimes by parents of my students, it was nice to be surrounded by fresh idealism. Now of course a lot of the people that looked so interested in the program had no experience whatsoever; it didn’t matter, people were excited and I was enjoying every bit of it.

I spent 5 hours at the fair and got to meet some great people, but it was now time to go speak to an organization on campus that is very dear to my hurt. I always felt my time in Texas Cowboys helped give me the necessary push I was looking for to become a better leader. I was constantly blown away at the guys I was in it with, and hence they are still a lot of my best friends today. Now, I was going to get to go back to our meeting place and speak about something very dear to my heart. It was awesome. I had the room dead quiet with all eyes glaring hearing about some of the experiences that I have had. I only received a handful of emails asking for more information, but I had numerous people come up and just say how proud they were of me. I had always craved the respect of my peers in this arena and it was just nice to get to come back. Hopefully, one or two of them will join me in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home